Wax melts are a fun alternative to conventional candles that let you explore endless shapes, colours and scent combinations to suit your personal taste. Simply place these individual wax cubes into the top of an oil burner with a tea light underneath. Once melted they will release enough scent to fill a whole room.
With top notes of peppermint and orange, this blend is invigorating and perfect to keep you motivated and focused!
The power is in your hands. However, we recommend using soy wax as the most eco-friendly option. When buying your wax ensure that you get ‘pillar blend’, which shrinks slightly when set to make them easy to remove from moulds. Always be careful when working with hot wax – this is meant to be a fun and creative DIY, we don’t want any injuries!
200g Soy Pillar Wax
Essential oils (we recommend peppermint and orange)
Silicone mould (with at least 12 small shapes)
Pair of goggles
Hob and Large pan
It is advised to read through the instructions once in full before you start making your wax melts.
- Put on your goggles.
- Pour 100g of wax (to make 12 wax melts) in pyrex jug.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- Simmer the wax in pyrex jug inside the pan of boiling water until fully melted (5-10 mins at a medium heat).
- Once melted, carefully remove the jug from the pan of water and add 36 drops of your chosen colour to the melted wax, then stir using a stick.
- Once the colour is fully mixed, add your chosen essential oils (for example 12 drops of peppermint and 60 drops of orange) and stir.
- Pour wax into moulds to fill 12 shapes.
- Leave the mould on a cool surface and remove the wax melts when fully set.
- Store in an airtight container or gift wrap in organza bags to give as gifts.
- Repeat to make another set of 12 wax melts. Why not try a new essential oil or colour this time?
We advise you to wipe out the pyrex jug with kitchen roll while still warm, to clean away excess wax.
How do I use wax melts?
It’s really easy. Just place the wax melt into your warmer and light a tealight underneath. The wax will melt just like a candle, releasing the warm and invigorating scent into your room. If you have an electric warmer, simply place your melt in and turn it on, then sit back and enjoy the aroma.
Share your creations with us on Twitter or Facebook. If you want more recipes and ideas like this, then you can find them in our book Bright and Beautiful – Making Your Own Natural Cosmetics, available here.