Taking care of our hair is important. There are so many hair treatments out there, it can be overwhelming to figure out which one is right for you. Essential oils are a quick, natural solution. Many have properties that can help with a variety of hair problems. Here, we break down the 5 best essential oils for your hair, along with great suggestions for how and why you should use them.
Whether you’re suffering with lifeless locks, an itchy scalp, or just want to add some extra shine, there’s an essential oil that can help. Sick of spending your hard-earned cash on an endless collection of hair products that leave you disappointed? Take back control and create your own solution. Essential oils are one of the world’s oldest natural beauty products, and there’s a reason they’re still beloved today. Thanks to their concentrated power you only need to use a tiny amount at a time (always diluted!), and you can experiment with different combinations to find the one that works for you.
How to use essential oils in your hair:
For a quick fix, you can add any of these essential oils to a fragrance free shampoo or conditioner. Alternatively, try mixing a few drops with coconut oil for a DIY home hair treatment. It will help stimulate growth and prevent breakage, all while softening and adding shine. Any carrier oil (yes, even olive oil from your kitchen cupboard) and be mixed with essential oils to create your own custom hair oil.
Which essential oils are good for hair?
- Chamomile: Chamomile essential oil is wonderful for adding shine and softness to your hair. It has strengthening and moisturising properties, which are helpful for dry and brittle hair. It can also soothe the sclap and reduce dandruff.
- Clary Sage: The oil stimulates the scalp and can promote hair growth. It’s also a deodorising oil, which will leave your hair smelling wonderfully fresh!
- Rosemary: The vitamins in rosemary essential oil help to encourage hair growth. It can also reduce dandruff and help with greasy hair.
- Cedarwood: Cedarwood essential oil is fantastic for removing grease and moisturising a dry scalp. It has antibacterial properties which can treat dandruff and hair loss.
- Lavender: Lavender has properties which promote cell growth, helping your hair to grow. This oil can also rejuvenate dry and damaged hair, which reducing grease and dandruff.